These Were Our Homes

This was our 1st home after I was born. Dad coached at Avilla, Indiana, maybe for 3 or 4 years. He had been fired from his previous basketball coaching job--for having a losing season after benching the starting five for smoking. This led to the famous '$5 offer'
This was our 2nd home at Petroleum, Indiana. The photo indicates we lived here 1939-1940.
This was our 3rd home. Apparently, we only lived here during the summer of 1940.
This was our 4th home. The photo says 729 N. Bancroft, Indianapolis, IN, Sep 1940 to Oct 1941. I have vivid images of the Church of the Brethern church which we attended somewhat near here. I remember Dad making paper boats to keep me quiet during service. But mostly I remember being terrified of the baptismal 'pool' that was used. It would have held a small hippo!
This was our 5th home. It was in Bloomington, IN. Apparently Dad was working on his masters degree. This is where the famous 'cat punting' incident took place. I have some recollections of this place. I do remember them having me tested, probably some form of IQ test. I did pretty good, I think, but I could not answer the questions about weather.
This was our 6th home. Although the photo says RR #5, Box 462, Indianapolis, Payne Property, it was known as 5 points. We lived here from Aug 1941 to Oct 1944. I have vivid memories of this home. Dad left for WW II and Janet was born while we lived here. I remember Mom struggling with blackout conditions while trying to feed Janet. I remember Dad flying box kites, me hitting the dog with a ball bat and my swing.
This was our 7th house. It was 304 W. Second, North Manchester, Indiana. Mom and Janet and I lived with Dad's parents from Aug 1944 to June 1945 while Dad was away at WW II. I attended first grade here. I remember taking 25 cents to school once a week, I think, to buy a $18.75 war bond that would pay out $25.00 in 10 years. I remember the Blue & Gold Star signs in houses. While I don't remember it, apparently Mom did not get along with Gramma and Grampa Piper, and so we had to move to Danville.
This was our 8th home. It was my Gramma and Grampa Jollief's home, 94 E. Broadway, Danville, IN. They lived here because my grandfather was Dean of Men and my grandmother was Registrar at the local college, Central Normal. My Grandfather died while we lived here. As I look back, I cannot envision how my Mom, Janet and I lived in this small apartment along with my grandparents. I do remember I spent many an hour constructing balsa airplanes on my Grandmother's front porch.
This was our 9th home. It was known as Hollowells because he owned it. There were four appartments in this big old house, located right across from the jail. Bob and Carol were born here. The 1948 tornado hit on Good Friday, at this house. Dad tended the furnace to offset some of the rent costs. It was from here that I ventured forth as a kid, very much on my own with Mom so busy with two kids and a third on on the way. I remember receiving an Erector Set, size 8 1/2, that launched my subsequent engineering career. Max Clay, Dave Watts and Billy Franklin were my playmates.
223 S. Washington. This was our 10th home. It was located at 223 S. Washington in Danville. There was an alley to the right and a couple of large, old homes on either side. Dad started his gun collection here in a refrigerator crate. I remember this was a transition period for Dad. He had four kids to feed, and he was trying to save enough money to build a house. He was still Boy's Secretary at Central YMCA in Indy, and rode the bus to and from work each day. I started my paper route while living here. I also started playing tennis against the school 'wall'. The college (Central Normal nee Canturbury) was still in operation, and I remember the students saying untrue things about our family in an effort to get this house.
This was our 11th and final home, 660 E. Broadway, Danville, Indiana. The story about this area was that it was a field with weeds six feet tall. No one, particularly Gramma J, had Dad's vision to see the potential in this property--especially since it was the last house before the town dump! Our family lived here from 1951 until Dad's death in 1977 and Mom's death in 1981. The house and property were then sold to McKees who still life there. Dad origianlly paid $1000 to Tubby Drapper for the lot (about 1.5 acres) and then borrowed $7000 from his Dad to buy the building materials. He had Ace Goodwin dig the basement, and his cousin Paul, laid the block for the basement and fireplace. The rest of the house was built by Dad and his father during the summer of 1951. Once built, the house was appraised at something like $18,000. Now Dad could easily get a loan for $7000, using the house as collateral, and then he repaid his father. Some memories include: the cracked basement wall, the garden & blackberry patch, the huge yard to mow with a push mower, the pool table, the revolutionary furnace with 2 inch ducts, the low ceilings, the reversed water faucets and the unfinished trim.

Return to start page

This music is "I Will Follow Him" (midi).

Site created by Larry L. Piper, Aug. 12, 2002. © 2003. Last updated: Jun. 02, 2010. email me with comments.